On 28/03/2008, Peter Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Thanks for that Robert. A few other questions:
>
>  1) How does one tag something that is being considered seriously (such as
>  the Mottram Tintwistle bypass), but which may well never get built? I think
>  I will just put the estimated build date given by the highways agency for
>  now. (I will also continue to use the tunnel trick to get it to render in
>  the mean time).

On the basis that we only put data into the project relating to
physical objects I dont think we should put any items in that "might"
get built. Once construction starts then you tag the object with
something appropriate to indicate its a feature under construction.
However I appreciate that once planning consent is approved we should
have the object represented if we know where it is to go. Something
like highway=trunk and proposed=true would be good enough for me.

>  2) I have a more difficult job with the new Haughley Bends upgrade on the
>  A14. A new section of A14 is being opened in the summer 08 and then the old
>  carriageways will be closed for 6 months and will then re-emerge as a
>  tertiary road (the west carriageway) and a bridleway (the east carriageway)
>  for most of the old section in Dec08, although a couple of short bits will
>  be grubbed up entirely and some new linking bits will be created. Is there
>  any way of coding such a thing? I feel it may be better to create a
>  relationship around all of the old stuff and say that it is going to go on
>  the switchover date, and then separately model the new network for the
>  replacement. Currently one has to add dates to every single little section
>  of road and as the opening date slips one should really change all the dates
>  which would be bonkers. In reality when a scheme opens in parts one might
>  have a series of versions of the model to be used in turn.
>
>  I realise that I am pushing the model beyond its initial intentions but we
>  are going to need to have robust ways of dealing with change.
>

>  Regards,
>

>  Peter

Andy Robinson