Relations are a super-powerful tool and permit all kinds of
whizziness (cycle routes, bus routes, areas with holes, dual
carriageways, etc.). This much we know.

On looking through the latest UK planet excerpt, though, I note a
handful of cases where they're being used for simple road refs. So
there are route relations which have simply been set up to convey
ref=A813, etc.

Could I 'umbly suggest not doing this unless there's very good reason?

In the UK, road numbers are unique (apart from about three cases
where local councils have cocked up, e.g. the B4027) and no road can
have more than one ref. The relation doesn't give any info over and
above that in the standard 'ref' tags - it just increases complexity
for both editing and processing.

cheers
Richard