Frederik Ramm wrote:
>Sent: 08 April 2008 2:31 PM
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Cc: OSM-Talk
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Voting
>
>Sven,
>
>> I can't remember that ULFL ever claimed that.
>
>Ok. There we go again. Nobody has claimed anything, but the fact of the
>matter is that a number of people seem to think that those who vote make
>a decision that is "a decision of the project" rather than "a decision
>of those five people who voted".
>
>I've been critcised for not suggesting an alternative. So here's my
>suggestion:
>
>* Continue your discussion and voting as before
>
>* Give yourselves a name ("OSM Tagging Task Force" or whatever) and
>create a mailing list.
>
>* Do not talk about "approved", "rejected", or "deprecated" features;
>instead, if something is voted in favour, it becomes a "recommended by
>OSMTTF" feature.
>
>* Be very clear that any feature *not* voted upon, or any feature which
>got less votes than something else, or any feature that a majority of
>voters didn't like, is still perfectly valid to use - you just don't
>actively recommend it.
>
>* Never try to keep people from using tags you didn't recommend (i.e. do
>not add a big message to the Wiki saying "THIS FEATURE IS NOT
>RECOMMENDED!").
>
>* Be very clear that the group you form is a small subset of the
>project; you create recommendations based on today's knowledge and on
>what you like and dislike. There may be any number of *other* groups in
>the project who also create recommendations and who have the same right
>to exist that you have. You are not special, the project has not asked
>you to please give recommendations, and has not given you any special
>powers that others don't have. (Much as the project never asks anyone to
>please write software and be the project's premier software contributor
>- anyone can do it and if it proves to be good, it is used.)
>
>* Be very clear that your recommendations create no obligations
>whatsoever on the part of renderers and editors; your tags are not
>better or more important than anyone else's.
>
>Do all this and I will stop complaining. I might even actively refer
>people to you ("better talk this over with the guys on the tagging task
>force list, they usually have good ideas" or so).
>
>> Will this discussion only end when Ulf, Robin, me and several others set
>> up a separate wiki for those who want to agree on and use a consistent
>> tagging sheme because they believe it's a good thing? When this project
>> is so open, why are we always blamed for what we do?
>
>I'll draw a parallel to the licensing debate here. Over on legal-talk, I
>constantly advocate PD, saying that nothing can ever be more "free" than
>PD because it has no restrictions. I am then routinely criticised by
>share-alike advocates who say that the freedom of PD might be abused by
> [...]

I haven't expressed my view too much on this aspect of late. I think most
know that I'm an advocate of the "let it evolve" approach.

SteveC pointed me last night to this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WMSinyx_Ab0
If you haven't seen it already its principally discussing the arguments and
issues surrounding wikipedia and whether it can stand for truth or not.

OSM basically has the same dilemma. There will always be those that think
the prescribed approach, and this applies beyond tags too, is the only way
the project will be considered authoritative and therefore in the longer
term useful/successful. I don't hold this view, and this is why.

Like another poster I too use international standards in my life as an
engineer. But daily I come across poorly conceived standards and differences
in interpretation, usage and supposedly equivalent standards in different
jurisdictions. I also see standards having to change with time and that
these changes don't usually keep pace with technological developments or new
research and best practice.

The final minute of the above video for me is the important point. An
expert, whether it is on tags or anything else, has a high degree of
knowledge about the subject, but that is not the only knowledge. Any
knowledge, whether from an expert of not is knowledge gained about the
subject and has relevance. This is why I think the original wikipedia
approach was fine, provided that it would never be considered authoritative.
If you want an "authoritative" version, in the same way that the
Encyclopaedia Britannica or OED might be considered authoritative, then
fine, make your rules and produce your work to standards, each individual
then has the option to consider these alongside any other sources of
information when making a decision or taking a view about something.

If we turn this point to OSM we can see that if the community pools its
ideas on a point, tags in this instance, then we reach through discussion on
the lists/IRC wiki etc a level of general consensus about a tag, it is
immaterial whether the consensus reached is right or wrong in the wider
context. It's what the community feels is appropriate at the time. The
problem comes along only if a subset of the community decide to "approve"
the consensus and cast it in stone as an immovable statement. Doing so stops
further revision of the community consensus, and thus in my view makes it
less authoritative with time.

As Frederik says, there is absolutely no problem with a subset of the
community voting and deciding what it recommends, the result can even be
part of the consensus, but I don't see it in any way as a benefit to the
project to enforce and standardise the result and make that the "official
way".

I'll make one final point, apologies for some of the nostalgia in what
follows, though the background might be useful to record for posterity.

I drafted the original map features following a pub discussion with SteveC
and Alex Willmer in November 2005. It was the first time I had met Steve and
he had specifically come up to Birmingham to meet us to get our input on the
project, it was early days of course and reaching consensus in those days
was often a matter of a beer in the pub. Point 10 on his agenda said "Tags
and the data structure. The ideas on the wiki appear unstructured." In those
days the community was little meetings and discussions like this. I was keen
to show that I had some ideas about how we might display our data beyond
just making nodes and segments and adding a single "class" attribute. I had
knocked up a list of features in a document called "WAYS". Its here if you
want to see what it looked like:
http://ajr.hopto.org/osm/WAYS.pdf

You can see from it where most of the original Map Features came from.
Nobody has ever suggested we approve the original map features list. The
vast majority of which is still in use today, warts and all. The community
acted pragmatically, it saw the list was useful and used it. What has been
the real surprise to me is that nobody has done the same thing in a
wholesale way for other "non map" aspects of OSM, such as routing.

So the point I wanted to make is that even if just one individual has an
idea and implements it and it gets used buy someone else then its useful, it
benefits the project. We need to get back to encouraging and embracing new
ideas that individuals or groups come up with. The project has seen a number
of them in the past and they have all been defining moments in the history
of the project. We need more of them to keep the evolution of OSM moving. So
rather than debating an idea or proposal lets be more pragmatic and get on
and finish the map. It may not be the cleanest set of data out there, but
right now it's the only free set there is of its type and we have stolen a
march on everyone else. As a human race we continue to evolve. OSM should be
the same. Lets keep it that way.

Apologies for droning on a little long ;-)

Cheers

Andy