Hi,

>>> * what if way direction is reversed?
>>> * what if way is extended, merged, split?
>>
>>  That will be a problem indeed. Could theoretically be solved with
>>  strong editor support, but that does not fix the intrinsic flaw. You
>>  never know when a script comes around that reverses direction for
>> some
>>  valid reason, outside the editors. Someone on talk-nl suggested
>> using
>>  a NSEW-based tagging scheme, but this is not unambiguous either.
>
> I say these problems are irrelevent right now. We have other tags
> (like oneway) which break when roads are reversed and that doesn't
> seem to excite anyone enough to fix it. I'd say ignore that problem,
> when it gets solved for other tags, it'll get solved for these also.

The oneway tag dos not suffer from splitting a way. Oneway is
displayed on the maps and sometimes in the editors as well so people
will notice when they make mistakes. We'd have to work on giving
house numbering the same prominence on map as oneway arrows if we
want to enable people to spot bugs the same way they do with oneways.

In another post you say that other GIS systems have no trouble using
a left/right start/end scheme. One has to be careful when making
these comparisons because many many GIS systems out there are
basically read-only, or at least not at all intended for an
environment like ours where changes are made on a massive scale by a
massive amount of non-expert users. Something that works well for
them does not necessarily work well for us. It might, but it doesn't
follow logically.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"