At 01:33 PM 4/05/2008, Ari Torhamo wrote:
>la, 2008-05-03 kello 17:39 -0400, Ted Mielczarek kirjoitti:
>
>> Why else are we contributing
>> this data if not for people to *use* it?
>
>I suggest you go and present this breath taking argument to RMS, and we
>might soon get an updated, more free version of GPL.
>
>Ari

The GPL works very well as it already allows folks to *use* software with no
restriction on what they make with that use.

Adding something new to GPL software source code is clearly different from
using existing GPL software to do something new.  That distinction is far from
clear when using collations of facts like OSM data.  So a different model is
required.  The PD argument is a very easy and elegant solution, but it makes
some contributors very uncomfortable.   The new license being worked on seeks
to make a, hopefully, comprehensible distinction for factual data.

Mike