Thanks Tim for your feedback, I appreciate.

Concerning "World Wind" it looks like you can visualize KML with placemarks
since version 1.3.4. I just had a quick try, it seems to work fine for
placemarks (but it doesn't seem to show the extrusion for lines in my "v2"
KMLs, just the top):
http://flickr.com/photos/frenchy/2490757820/

I've also heard Microsft's "Virtual Earth"  supports KMLs now (but haven't
tried it).
It looks like KMLs are now spreading quickly since its 'Open Standard'
adoption:

"""
The KML 2.2 specification has been submitted to the Open Geospatial
Consortium to assure its status as an open standard for all geobrowsers. As
of November 2007, the OGC has a new KML 2.2 Standards Working Group.
Comments were sought on the proposed standard until January 4, 2008,[1] and
it became an industry standard on April 14, 2008.[2]
"""
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyhole_Markup_Language

That said I could try other formats like GeoRss and GML.

""" as an overlay over existing osm maps? """

Yes that certainly would be nice :)
I'll look at it when I'll have some time for it (OpenLayers, SlippyMap,...)

Thanks

francois