[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> 1. The area shares some nodes with the highway, creating overlapping ways.
> 2. The area shares no nodes and was drawn as close as possible to the road.
>
> I couldn't find any recommendations in the wiki on which option to prefer.

I prefer sharing nodes.

> Overlapping ways allow a cleaner data model and saves nodes. But editing such
> ways is quite a hassle. There is currently no function to split nodes so that
> ways can be separated again. So if the border of the area needs to be
> changed, the complete area has to be redrawn (at least to my knowledge).

JOSM handles overlapping objects reasonably well (using the middle-click
menu).  If you need to separate the ways you can add a new node to each
way individually and then delete the shared node - could be neater, but
it isn't bad.

--

  - Steve
    xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.nexusuk.org/