On May 18, 2008, at 08:16, Alan Millar wrote:

> In Oregon, freeway exits have official numbers ("Exit 3", "Exit 85",
> etc.)
>
> I've been adding these as names to the motorway_link segments,
> thinking it
> may be useful on the map as well as possible routing uses (Take
> Highway
> 217 to Exit 7 to 72nd Ave, etc.)

What I've seen in Germany is a node highway=motorway_junction with ref
and name tags. See
http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.11495&lon=7.78786&zoom=15&layers=B0FT
  for instance. The name is rendered, and I assume the ref would be
rendered if no name is given. So that would be a good start.

For routing and other purposes, it would probably be desirable to
create a junction relation that comprises all on- and off-ramps.

Actually, there's some relevant stuff on the wiki:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tag:highway%3Dmotorway_junction
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapping/Features/Junction
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Junction_number
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Relations/Proposed/Junctions