In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        Matt Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 May 2008 16:18:15 Tom Hughes wrote:
>
>> It is nice. Unfortunately the need to warp the tiles onto the globe
>> means that there is a significant reduction in quality over the web
>> based version.
>
> Under the Map View tab, there's a 'Projection' dropdown box. In there you can
> select 'Mercator' or 'Flat Map' projections.

Doesn't seem to make any difference - it is still doing some warping
of the tiles by the looks of it.

The bit at the bottom of the blog post about work being done on using
vector data to resolve that has been pointed out to me now anyway. I just
hope they're not going to try and pull data from the API for that...

>> Well Y! would be hard as you would have to embed a web browser or
>> something as you can only access the images via Javascript or Flash.
>
> Well, for that we've got QtWebKit and co. (or KHTML if the plugin was to be
> KDE specific) if necessary. They would be able to access the Y! API just fine
> (in fact, I believe this is how Merkaartor is doing the Y! integration
> without resorting to opening a Firefox window).

That is what Merkaartor is doing, yes.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])