On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Charles Basenga Kiyanda
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Parking lots of this kind are common enough (in inner cities) that
>>> they have
>>> their own official traffic sign (number 9 at [1]), but there's
>>> currently no
>>> good way to tag them.
>>>

>> We have similar (but more complex signs as the tend to include the
>> parking permit zone as well).
>>

> Are you talking about restrictions by which you need a permit of a
> certain zones and the zone you get is based on the address of residence?
> If that is the case, then it's also very, very common in Montreal,
> Quebec. In any case, a tag like what is propsed could easily be used for
> parkings which require any type of permits, whether delivered by the
> city or a private company. Maybe it would be possible to extend the
> scheme to have something like
>
> amenity = parking
> access = permit
> permit_delivered_by = city/company xyz/...

Perhaps there should be some distinction between parking with permits
only for residents or employees (like Montreal above) and parking
where a daily/weekly/monthly/annual permit is available to anyone for
a fee.

e.g.
access=residents
access=employees
access=customers (customer parking at a store)
access=permit (permit available for purchase)
access=public (parking available by the hour or for free to anyone)

Of course, we could simply use access=private for access=residents and
access=employees, since these parking spaces are not generally
available to the public.

There are many lots here (in Toronto) where one pays a monthly fee to
park which MUST be distinguished from lots that are limited to
residents only and also from lots where parking is available for an
hourly fee.