One more thing about Mapnik rendering, then I'll stop!

Quite often streets change their names along their length. But the
caption placement seems to put the names in the middle of a way.

I wonder if it would be useful instead to put the name at either end of
the way (unless it won't fit, in which case just one in the centre as
now), and also repeat at intervals if there is plenty of room. Ditto refs.

Concatenating similarly named contiguous ways and then deciding how to
do the caption placement as a whole would be better still, but that's
much harder, of course.

David