Steve Chilton wrote:

> http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~steve8/planetextracts.pdf

> In all cases the countries are ranked by size (km2).

> From the first graph, and making a simple assumption that the
> size of the extract file ought perhaps to be proportional to the
> size of the country,

Yes, but the horizontal axis in your diagrams is not proportional
to the size of the country, but to the country's rank by size.
If I insert a new country in the middle of the scale, the rank
jumps by one for half of the countries, but their sizes don't
change.

And still, maps are drawn by humans, not by empty land size.  So
you need to take population density into account before you label
anyone as more or less active.  Iceland has 3 inhabitants per
square kilometre, Russia has 8, Finland has 16, Sweden 20, Latvia
36, Scotland 65, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern 73, Ukraine 77, France
114, Poland 122, Denmark 129, Lower Saxony 167, Belgium 344,
England 388, the Netherlands 395, and North Rhine-Westphalia 528.

If one in every 100.000 inhabitants goes out mapping, the 90
participants from Sweden will each have 5000 square kilometers to
cover (the size of Northumberland).  In my province, Östergötland,
with twice the average Swedish population density, the expected 4
participants will only have 2500 sq.km each (the size of Dorset or
Luxembourg).  We're lucky, but Iceland is expected to have 3
participants, each covering 34,000 sq.km (the size of Belgium).
From England we would expect 500 participants, who each need to
cover a tiny 260 sq.km (less than the Isle of Wight). But in NRW,
the 180 participants need only cover 190 sq.km each.

Now, the wiki Category:Users_in_Östergötland already has 7 names
and I know we have a few more contributors than that, so we are
way beyond one mapper per 100,000 inhabitants.  But does NRW have
180 contributors to OSM?

--
  Lars Aronsson ([EMAIL PROTECTED])