On 2 Jun 2008, at 21:31, Alex Mauer wrote:

> Karl Eichwalder wrote:
>> Alex Mauer schrieb:
>>
>>> The access restrictions on the road ("no bicycles if there is an
>>> accompanying cycle route") don't affect the access on the cycle
>>> route
>>> itself.  Obviously legality of use by other modes of
>>> transportation will
>>> vary by jurisdiction (In some places cycleway implies "moped=yes",
>>> while
>>> in others it implies "moped=no").  But I think it's fair to say
>>> that in
>>> all jurisdictions, highway=cycleway will imply bicycle=designated.
>>
>> Probably.  And what's the equivalent if you want to use the path
>> notation?  I can think about different possibilities.  Here, using
>> the path would be mandatory for cyclists:
>>
>> highway=path
>> cycleway=yes
>
> I don't see anything on
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:cycleway suggesting that
> cycleway=yes means that use of the cycleway is mandatory.  Changing it
> to mean that is outside the scope of the path proposal and the
> "designated" proposal.  You may want to create a new proposal to cover
> this situation, if it is necessary.  I would suspect that the
> "mandatory
> bicycle route" could be accomplished by simply applying "bicycle=no"
> the adjacent roads.  "cycleway=mandatory" would also be a good
> possibility.  But again, it's nothing to do with the recently-approved
> proposals.

If the use of the cycle is required, and the only other path is the
road, then putting bicycle=no on the road will cause routing
algorithms for cyclists to push the cyclist to the adjacent cycleway.
When a cycle specific map gets rendered, then it could grey out the
road, with the cycleway highlighted. I think this is a better way to
tag it, otherwise routing will not know which road cyclists are not
meant to use.

I would also like to see the value bicycle=dismount, for short
sections where cyclists have to dismount as part of the cycle network.

Shaun