In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        Brett Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am trying to use tilecache to generate mapnik tiles but have run into
> the issue described in my previous email.  It is probably something
> screwy with the way I've configured things but I've been unable to
> diagnose the problem.

I may be being dense here, but this is openstreetmap-talk (not
even dev) not tilecache-talk... Is there not somewhere better you
should be going to with this where there will be experts in tilecache
that can help you?

>> It seems to be working intermittently but most requests result in the
>> following response being returned to the browser when requesting new
>> tiles.
>>
>> An error occurred: failed mapping file: Cannot allocate memory
>>  File "/home/tilecache/app/TileCache/Service.py", line 221, in
>> modPythonHandler
>>    host )
>>  File "/home/tilecache/app/TileCache/Service.py", line 205, in
>> dispatchRequest
>>    return self.renderTile(tile, params.has_key('FORCE'))
>>  File "/home/tilecache/app/TileCache/Service.py", line 138, in renderTile
>>    data = layer.render(tile)
>>  File "/home/tilecache/app/TileCache/Layer.py", line 411, in render
>>    return self.renderTile(tile)
>>  File "/home/tilecache/app/TileCache/Layers/Mapnik.py", line 38, in
>> renderTile
>>    mapnik.load_map(m,self.mapfile)

Well the obvious answer is that something in your apache configuration
is limiting the amount of memory that the daemons can use.

Unless of course you really are managing to exhaust your physical
memory and swap - how big do your apache processes get?

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.compton.nu/