On 11 Jun 2008, at 11:45, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:

> Rainer Dorsch wrote:
>> Sent: 10 June 2008 10:46 PM
>> To: talk@openstreetmap.org
>> Subject: [OSM-talk] [OT] OSM based photo catalogue
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> this post is somewhat offtopic but people here could know:
>>
>> Is there a project with builds a picasaweb like integration of
>> photos with
>> GPS
>> location information and the OpenStreetMap data?
>>

> Its something that’s been mentioned a few times. It would be great
> for those
> that use photos or voice recordings as source information to be able
> upload them to a server so that they are browsable by anyone else
> verifying
> work on the mapping. Also some photos have local interest, they
> aren't all
> of street signs ;-)
>
> The problem is it needs developers to come up with a workable platform
> solution. Its probably something that needs developing on the fringe
> of OSM
> rather than as a core function, it might be considered for inclusion
> as part
> of a bigger OSM service if its found to be useful.

I've been thinking more about doing something related to this sometime
soon. I would say that if anyone is in the habit of deleting their
photos once they've used them they might want to hold off on doing
that for a while.

I wasn't entirely sure what Rainer was aiming at though, a gallery of
photos used for preparing OSM photos, picasa photos overlaid on OSM
maps?

John