Karl Newman wrote:
> This is very common in the US, too. Sometimes there are state highways
> (highway=primary or secondary) using the same road as an interstate
> (motorway) for a section. Since the road in the shared section is still
> a motorway, it's just tagged as such and then the ref values (highway
> numbers) that apply to the shared section are semicolon separated as
> Rory indicated. It might be a good idea to list the larger/more
> important highway first in the ref.

Personally I think it'd be good to tag the road as primary *and*
secondary, i.e. that we should have 'highway=primary;secondary'. This
makes it possible to see how many km of secondary roads there are in an
area, or to highlight only road 172.

*However* most of the renderers can't deal with semi-colons well. Just
see Dermot McNally's post in late May about "Potlatch and the evil
semicolons". I don't really like mapping for the renderer though. :)

Rory