If you can't cross from one side to another anywhere, then it should
be marked as two separate ways.

When you have a twoway road connect to one of these,  it will connect
to each side, with a little crossing piece in the middle. When you
have two such roads connect, then it will look like a hash symbol (#)
with four nodes.  Each of these nodes would have a traffic light tag
if there were lights.

Stephen