Hi,

> I am wondering to which kind of obsessiveness the landuse-tag is
> meant to be used. Is the final stage something like a 'landuse'-layer
> covering 100% of the earth?

A question that is regularly and at length discussed on talk-de,
talk, and the newbies list (google "site:lists.openstreetmap.org
landuse").

> Do we cover entire villages with
> 'landuse=residential'?

We sometimes do that for a start when all we have is a Landsat quality
satellite image. This can be refined later to differentiate between
various types of landuse inside the village.

> What is the need of the 'place'-tag then?

The place tag is often attached to a node, not an area. If attached to
an area, it would mean the entire village.

> Oh, and BTW and another question: Why can't a police-station cover an
> entire area, but is restricted to a single node?

If you want to map the outline of a police station, tag it
"amenity=police" and "building=yes".

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"