Hi all,

Just for the record, for all those that have NaviGPS devices, or
their derivative.

I've got two of these, and had problems with both[0]. The second one
I got locked up after a while of using a bad SD card. It froze
hard and would not power off. It was under warranty, and Storage
Depot kindly replaced it.

The older one (it's getting on for a couple of years old now)
started to go very slowly the other day. You'd press a button and
it took 15 seconds or more to respond. It still powered off and
on OK, though.

Switched it on today, and it would not power off again. Nothing
working, locked hard. I had imagined that the case would be
welded, but thankfully it is screwed together. Therefore there is
a real power switch...!

Unscrew the 7 screws, breaking the "QC OK" seal under the flap.
Lift off the top cover. Then you can unscrew one screw in the PCB
and lift that off, too. Carefully disconnect the battery at its
connector and reconnect after a few seconds. Put back together
again and have a working GPS :-)

I hate all these modern devices with soft power buttons...

Hope that helps someone. (If it's still under warranty I'd
replace it, though. Disclaimer on above procedure, of course -
you keep the pieces if you break it.)

Cheers,

--
Matthew

[0] Not that it's a bad bit of kit; I really like them. Just the
lack of real power button has always worried me, and justifiably
so.