On 2008-07-15, Daniel Glassey wrote:
> 2008/7/15 Frederik Ramm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> Gran Canaria. The GNOME and KDE free desktop conferences are jointly
> >> being held there Friday, July, 3rd until Saturday, July 11th 2009.
> >>
> >> So I think it would be great if SOTM could be there, say, Sat 11th-Sun
> >> 12th.
> >
> > Nothing against Gran Canaria at all but I don't see a lot of value in
> > doing SOTM directly before or after an event that has nothing to do
> > with mapping or maps?
>
> fwiw here are my main reasons for suggesting it:
>
> imho the similarity of goals for free and open software and free and
> open mapping is major. So it is a good community to make more aware of
> openstreetmap though I know quite a lot of folks are involved already.
>
> I would guess it is cheaper to organise something when it is
> associated with something else. This conference has a lot of support
> from the local government so hopefully they would be willing to help
> too.
>
> It is the same time as SOTM has been the first 2 years.
>
> > If you're desperate to tag SOTM onto some other international
> > conference than the obvious choice would be FOSS4G (Sydney 2009) but
> > even there I don't see added value for us.
>
> FOSS4G might be good to tag along with but only when it is in Europe
> so definitely not next year. Being close to another conference has its
> pros and cons. Major pro is potential to attract new folks from other
> conference, especially programmers to contribute to the software.
> Major con is potential to get swamped by folks from other conference.
> I 'm not the one to decide whether that is appropriate or not for
> SOTM, and I can't make up my mind anyway.
>
> fwiw location-wise I would prefer somewhere more easily and cheaply
> accessible by most people that would like to come than I expect GC
> would be.

the people deciding this might want to look at:
- [1] which documents the bid for the joined Akademy\GUADEC next year.
      apperently Gran Canaria is easy and relatively cheap to get to from
      all over europe
- [2] which mentions that they're arranging for lots of press to be present,
      also there apperently will be representives of 5 west-african
      governments for brought there especially for those conferendes

[1]
http://grancanariadesktopmeeting.eslic.es/index.php/GUADEC_Akademy_english
[2] http://toscalix.blogspot.com/2008/07/guadec-akademy-in-gran-
canariawhy.html