On Jul 18, 2008, at 09:27, elvin ibbotson wrote:
> Very nice but it needs DirectX. I cut my map programming teeth on a
> viewer for British OS maps which uses Java 3D
> (http://britain.poco.org.uk/desktop.html
> ). I can’t share it because of copyright restrictions on the maps,
> but the principle would apply to any map source including OSM. Why
> not use Java instead of Microsoft stuff then it would run on
> anything. There’s an awful lot of us using Linux or Macs - anything
> but Windows!. I like the idea of Kosmos but - MS .net!!

If you had tried, you'd know that Kosmos does in fact run on Linux
with Mono. This one doesn't since there's no DirectX support in Mono,
but I'm sure it'd be possible to port it to something like
http://axiomengine.sourceforge.net/
  .

In my opinion, a Windows only project with source available is worth a
lot more than some closed Java thing. On that note, how can the
license on the maps keep you from releasing the source code to your
viewer?

Cheers
Robert