On 25/07/2008 10:56, Edoardo Marascalchi wrote:
> in the italian mailing list we are facing new (and some old) users
> arguing should be better to enter in the name tag the collapsed form of
> the name.
>
> I'm trying to persuade this people this is the wrong way 'cause don't
> exist any way to explode names collapsed.
>
> I'm proposing to add 2 extension to the name tag to mark which part of
> the name could be collapsed or hidden
> in the same moment you could give a priority
>
> e.g.
>
> exploded form: Viale don Luigi Sturzo
> first: V.le don Luigi Sturzo
> 2nd: V.le Luigi Sturzo
> 3rd: V.le L. Sturzo
>
> so
> name=Viale don Luigi Sturzo
> name:collapsable=1;3
> name=hide=2
>
> so...
> you are adding tips usefull to renderes about which part of the name
> collapse or hide but it's not a mandatory collapsation
> If you are the coder of a renderer you can chose to hide befor collapse
> or collapse before hide..
>
> Let me know it make sense or not..

Edoardo

I'm collecting a list of contractions and abbreviations, at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Name_finder:Abbreviations

If you can add a section for Italian, that would be great. In due
course, these will be used in the name finder so that when someone
searches for e.g. "V.le Luigi Sturzo" they will find "Viale don Luigi
Sturzo" even though it isn't spelled like that anywhere in the tags.
This already works for lots of contractions in English, American(!),
German, French and a few others, but there's no Italian input so far.

If this list were available as XML or some such, I guess renderers could
use it to shorten the names if necessary to fit on the map or simply for
stylistic reasons.

I think manually adding variations would then largely be unnecessary.

Where there is a radically different form (let's say hypothetically
"Viale don Luigi Sturzo" could also be expressed as "Plaza Sturzo", so
it's not really a contraction), you can already use alt_name="Plaza
Sturzo" and name finder will pick it up.

David