In the rather large thread "Actually using OpenStreetMap and the usability of
the current maps" I got to understand a few things that I didn't grasp
before.

So to make a long story short, I have decided to check the viability of
setting up a Swedish tile server + slippy map and some other services. To do
that I am applying for some money from the Swedish Internet Society that has
grants for such things.

But to be able to write the application, I need to understand the size of the
task.  Things like:
 - How long does it take to render a typical tile set? Will a single machine
be able to render all the tiles for Sweden, for instance? What's the size of
the current render farm for the mapnik map on openstreetmap.org?

 - How much bandwidth will it use?

 - How difficult is it to set up a working server? I'm fairly skilled in
deployment, but I have never worked with mapnik, nor osmarender or
slippymaps.

I am aware that the questions are fuzzy, but all data will be much
appriciated.

        -Inge