On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Tom Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>        Erik Johansson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Can mapnik automatically render names for smaller towns in lower zoom
>> levels if there is room for the labels?  Or should we have a
>> "mapnik_zoom_level=6" tag? This is a problem for the country side were
>> you have lots of room to render names, but not that many big names to
>> render. (Especially Sweden[1])
>
> Tagging for rendered == Evil!
>
> Mapnik will render whatever it is told to, and will drop things if
> there isn't enough room.

Getting people to hand optimize personalized rendered maps is probably
easier than getting them to do their own surveys. This is were
Openstreetmap becomes Wikipedia, and a very subjective experience.

With the current system people hand optimize the place=* and highway=*
classing to make maps look good. People who think this is only a data
collection project need to get out more (oh the irony :-).

What is better to recognize that there is a difference between what is
there and what is mapped. Or just hoping that a collectively made map
will be easy to render automagically without people hand optimizing
for the rendering rules?

> Currently our rules are not very good about the order in which they
> render things, which means that the wrongs things can get dropped. That
> should probably fixed before we start rendering more things at low
> zoom levels.

http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=66.5&lon=13.2&zoom=5&layers=B00FTF

No roads, no "hamlet" names, and no lakes for that matter. This is how
it is out side densely populated areas, that means Scandinavia,
Argentina. etc..

I'm not sure if it would help to change the zoom level of this [1]:
    <Rule>
      <Filter>[place] = 'village' or [place] = 'suburb'</Filter>
      <MaxScaleDenominator>50000</MaxScaleDenominator>[....]
    </Rule>

If there was an openstreetmap style editor[2]  that included more
rural parts, perhaps that's what Inge needs.

[1]http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/rendering/mapnik/osm.xml?format=txt
[2] Doesn't seem to work atm: http://tile.openstreetmap.nl/~panman/styledit/

--
/emj