Frederik Ramm wrote:
> 2. Commercially Valuable Product
>
> OSM is creating something of considerable commercial value. The
> estimated market volume of geodata in Europe is way over one billion
> Euros per year (I found varying figures, some even say it's 1.5 billion
> for Germany alone, others are more conservative). - I'm sure there was a
> market for encyclopedias before Wikipedia arrived but it cannot have
> been this big, ever. Or can it? Let me hear figures if you have some.

I suspect that if Wikipedia took Google ads, their revenue would be in
the hundreds of millions of dollars per year. They are the top hit in
Google for most factual queries, and people read it looking for facts
and info (rather than entertainment) and it's a short step from their to
purchasing.

So their data also has considerable commercial value, although the value
is associated with the eyeballs viewing the most-commonly-used
expression of the data (which they control) rather than the data itself.

> 3. Not an End Product

Not to contradict what you've said, but maybe there is an interesting
parallel here between OSM and mozilla.org. Originally, mozilla.org was a
"technology provider", the idea being that lots of different companies
and organizations would build Foo Browser and Bar Browser and be the
distributors. Netscape was the biggest, but they did a fairly poor job
of it and still there weren't really many others.

After mozilla.org split from AOL/TW/Netscape, we went into the browser
business ourselves. The result is Firefox.

So it may be that it sounds like a good idea to be a "data provider" and
that other people will provide the primary user-facing interface to your
data, but that in fact if you want it done well what you have to do is
go out there and do it yourself. :-)

We're currently caught between the two positions.

If we are only a data provider, why is the Cycle Map not hosted
elsewhere and linked to from www.openstreetmap.org, along with any other
interesting maps and views that people provide? Why doesn't the default
map show everything including errors and maplint, so we can more easily
see what's there and what's not?

But if we are, in fact, the primary front end, then we should decide to
go for it, get some super-fast hardware, host as many layers of interest
as we can find, and tell everyone to come to www.openstreetmap.org to
get their maps rather than maps.google.com.

Gerv