Hi,

> My understanding is that such a way should be tagged as track with a grade.

Many people (at least in Germany) seem to use "track" whenever it's
large enough to accomodate a 4 wheel vehicle, and "cycleway" only if
it's really a designated cycleway that cannot be used for anything else.

> Should I tag the ways as tracks and create a relation for every route
> (maybe 2-5km long) or is there  a better way to handle this ?

I think bicycles are by default assumed allowed on highway=track so if
the only information you want to convey is that these tracks are used by
cyclists then no extra tagging/relations required. Use relations only if
you have a named/signed/well established route.

For issues specific to Germany's system of roads and ways, also check
out the talk-de list.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"