On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 06:33:10PM -0500, Alex Mauer wrote:

> So it really depends on interpretation.  In particular, footways have a
> particular legal status in the UK which doesn't apply to every place
> that you can walk.

Just as a point of information, this isn't actually true. As far as I am
aware, the only UK legal use of the term footWAY is to refer to what I would
call a pavement and you might call a sidewalk.  The "particular legal
status" to which you refer is actually applied to the legal term "footpath",
and the OSM tag highway=footway in the UK does not, of itself, imply that a
path is a Public Right of Way (and hence a legal footpath).