We also have a compose.py script in Modest Maps that does something
similar from the command line:
        http://modestmaps.mapstraction.com/trac/browser/trunk/py/compose.py

You can feed it a variety of input: (lat, lon) center, desired zoom
level and pixel dimensions; (lat, lon) bbox and pixel dimensions;
(lat, lon) bbox and desired zoom level.

-mike.