Rory McCann wrote:
> Gervase Markham wrote:
>> What's current tagging best practice with things which are to the left
>> or the right of a way (e.g. bus stops)?
>>
>> A nearly-approved proposal for a canal-side object has been objected to
>> by someone who thinks that the tag should be on a node which is part of
>> the canal rather than next to it, with left/right indicated as part of
>> the tag key name.
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Mooring
>>
>> Do we do that for any other tags? Do we have highway:left=bus_stop?
>>
>> Gerv
>
> Personally I add the node to left of the way, not as part of the way. I
> believe the OSM theory is that the way represents the middle of the
> road. So things like mini-roundabounds and traffic lights are part of
> the way (ie road), but a bus stop is off to the side of the road.

the problem with this is that 'bus stop' (and canal mooring, etc,)
implies a place where the bus stops, which is on the road.

the fact the bus shelter, or sign, or bench, is some distance off to the
side of the road shouldn't matter - the bus itself stops on the road, so
the node imo should be part of the way

if the bus stop is off to the side of the road, i.e. not connected to
it, then the bus can't physically get to it, which seems very wrong

or, consider from the pedestrian's point-of-view:
it is assumed for all roads except motorways and where explicitly
stated, that there is foot=yes access. in which case, the
footpath/sidewalk/pavement is therefore part of the way which represents
the road; we don't draw  a separate way off to one side, running
parallel. the bus stop must be on the footpath for the pedestrian to be
able to walk up to it, so again it must be part of the way

this problem is i think muddled by the fact we represent an area (a
road) with a linear object (a way), which theoretically has zero width,
so the natural step from this is to say:
'the way represents the centre of the road, and the bus stop/canal
mooring is not in the centre of the road, it's at the side of the road,
so I'll put it to one side of the way'

as for placing the node to one side of the way in order to get the icon
to be placed correctly, this sounds a lot like 'tagging for the renderer'