Whilst reviewing data I've noted recently a large number of duplicated
nodes.  These occur where one way joins another.

I've managed to create a few myself, but have noted that many other users
are doing the same.  In each instance the relevant ways have "created by
Potlatch" as tags.

I presume that :

(1) Either there must be a bug in Potlatch
(2) Its far too easy for a user to inadvertently create duplicated nodes.

Take for example the area
http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?mlat=13.166319744096374&mlon=-61.239985647460315&zoom=12

.  The validator in JOSM reports 176 duplicated nodes.

Same area  as shown on informationfreeway
http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=13.153544792952308&lon=-61.222993541715226&zoom=15&layers=0000T0B0F

I would stress I'm not blaming the users who created the data in that area.
I count myself as a fairly experienced OSM mapper, and as I stated earlier I
have been managing to create some duplicated nodes, and that's even after
reading and re-reading the Potlatch editing FAQ.

If its not a bug in Potlatch, then could the program be changed so that it
is much harder to duplicate nodes.

David