Gervase Markham wrote:
> What do people think?

i think it's fantastic - it addresses most of the problems that have
come up the last few days on this subject

i'm sure in the future we'll find some edge cases that don't fit, but i
think this deserves at least some experimenting to see how it works in
reality. are there dev copies of the main map where this could be trialled?

i recall earlier this week someone made a comment about not allowing
ways to be reversed. i think that would be tidier than expecting the
editor to change all the tags along a way (imagine all the bus stops,
phone boxes, post boxes, etc. on even a 5km road in a city) if it were
to be reversed. as he suggested, the 'oneway=-1' can overcome the
problem of the way pointing the wrong direction

as an aside, we could use this to start rendering pavements as well (say
zoom 15 - 17 only). by default, it draws them in at some offset,
dependent on the road type/width. if there's a 'left:pavement=none',
etc. then it would miss it