To: "OSM Talk" <talk@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2008 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] arbitrary markers on main map

John McKerrell wrote:
Funnily enough, that link you sent through should actually work and do
exactly what you want, I'm not sure why it didn't. This one does:

http://openstreetmap.org/?mlat=-36.88887&mlon=174.75006&zoom=15&layers=0B0FTF&lat=-36.88822&lon=174.7553

I don't think there's a simple way to create those links other than just
recentering the map where you want the marker, clicking on permalink and
then putting "m" in front of the lat/lon parameters.
thanks for the help, tom and john. the link i sent was actually a guess,
didn't realise i'd hit on the right syntax

it didn't show, cos the marker was off the visible area

what i actually was driving towards, but explained badly, was a button
that anyone could click at the edge of the map, then anywhere on the map
to place the marker. i suggested this rather than adding numbers to the
url, as the latter is probably beyond the average users of the map - if
not in technical skills, then at least in patience

i'm sure there must be way to do this without mangling urls?

Go to the Export tab on www.openstreetmap.org,
choose embeddable HTML
click add marker to map
copy the Iframe output and see the URL it contains

David