For me the criteria is quite simple :

amenity=fast_food : get food at desk, pay at desk.
amenity=restaurant : food served at the table, pay at table.

The kind of food served, quality of service, or whether there is a dining
place or not is irrelevant (though restaurants always have one, obviously).
There are restaurants that will also allow to get food at the desk and take
away, or offer delivery service : they might qualify for dual use amenity.