Hi,

I was in the Dominican Republic 2 years ago. Did a little intro to web mapping
workshop workshop with the Environment Ministry there.

http://www.medioambiente.gov.do/mapasworkshop/

Blogged a bunch on DR
http://brainoff.com/weblog/index.php?s=dominican+republic

Looks like there's beginnings of  coverage in Santo Domingo from Yahoo imagery.
But even the Zona Colonial isn't there .. and that would be great fun to walk
and map (though be careful, some sketchy places just on the outskirts on the
center).

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=18.47&lon=-69.9023&zoom=13&layers=B000FTF

Santiago looks extremely well mapped.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=19.415&lon=-70.6205&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF

I suggest getting in touch with local mappers, maybe through a mapping party.
Though the wiki page isn't even existing  ..
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Dominican_Republic

What I usually do is download data for an area, through the Export tab, and
then get a list of users by running this one-liner..
$ perl -nle 'print $1 if /user="(.*?)"/' map.osm | sort | uniq -c

Then you can look up each user's page on OSM, and send them a message directly.

Have fun!

Mikel