In your letter dated Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:32:02 +0100 you wrote:
>The problem is, and remains, the subjectivity - we can probably get good
>agreement in and around Oxford on what roads are what level, but if someone
>else tries to tag somewhere else, they might have a different baseline.  The
>stuff you've added to the "discussion" page of the wiki page you refer to
>above is a good start to helping everyone use the same baseline, so lets
>keep working in that direction!

I definitely have a different baseline. Over here (.nl) essentially everybody
except tourists and recent immigrants is a level III cyclist in that
classification.

The only problem I see with it is that there are too many levels. But
I doubt that it matters much. If you want to use it for routing, the question
is whether the use of higher quality road warrants a detour or not.

But safety is just one dimension.

For cycling tours I prefer scenic routes.

For training on a racing bike, I prefer roads that a smooth surface and that
are suitable for high speed cycling.

There are probably many more categories worth adding.