(Now with added reply-all)

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 3:18 AM, Andy Allan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 'Better' is dependent on what you're trying to achieve, but there are
> certainly many 'different' representations in use in different
> projects.

I want to represent the data such that a user can pan and zoom a map
around smoothly (25+ fps) without pre-rendering tile images.
Especially on devices like the iphone, that would be really nice.

The only data structure I can think of to do something like this would
be a quad tree with internal nodes containing data at particular
detail levels. (So that for a fixed size view you never have to
inspect more than a fixed number of quad tree nodes).

Basically, it would look the same as the current tile set; but
prerendered tile images would be replaced with node&way lists listing
the data the corresponding tile shows.

Has anyone written a program like this; either with that sort of data
format or solving that problem?

-J