Moved from newbies@ to talk@, followups to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

James Ewen wrote:

> In this part of the world, the best
> way I have found to collect road data is to drive the road, convert
> the track to locked ways, cut the track into small segments that
> Potlatch will convert, tie them all back together, and finally connect
> any intersections that might exist.
> [...]
> In a similar fashion, I find myself wanting to know the source of the
> GPS trace that runs through an area where I would like to fix up the
> highway.

> Allan Rasmussen has traced out Highway 93 by hand from low resolution
> imagery, but someone has driven the highway and uploaded a GPS trace
> which describes the true course of the highway in greater detail and
> accuracy. If I could find the GPS trace, I could convert it into a
> locked way, and from there create a better description of highway 93
> for inclusion in the OSM database.
> [...]
> I do not see how privacy concerns can be an issue either. The
> information collected has been voluntarily uploaded and inserted into
> the OSM database by the user, only the final step of converting the
> raw data into OSM ways has not been completed.

To recap:

James would like an option in Potlatch to be able to convert public
GPS data from the database into a way. At present, of course, you can
do that with a GPS track from the list by clicking the 'edit' link
alongside; but if you don't know what track it is, yet you can see it
on the map, you're a bit stuck.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with implementing this and would
find it useful. However, privacy concerns have often been raised about
This Sort Of Thing. I'd be interested to hear people's views.

All the data is of course there anyway and is trawlable by anyone who
wants to download the raw GPS traces: this would mostly be a
convenience thing.

cheers
Richard