>I've been using my old N95 for a while now to get my GPS traces, but
>unfortunatly it's decided to finally give up. So, i'm in the market
>for a new GPS device. I'd preferebly like a standalone device but i'm
>not shunning away from any bluetooth devices, as lugging around a
>EeePC in a backpack is quite easy.

>Any recommendations? I've had a look over the reviews wiki page but
>i'd like some feedback from the OSM public :)

I recently bought a Garmin Legend HCX, and am very happy with it. It's possibly
overkill if all you want to do is collect GPX traces, but I've found other uses
for it too. It has a micro-SD slot (signified by the X in the model name) and
you can download OSM-derived maps onto it, which is useful for knowing what's
already mapped (assuming you have an up-to-date map). With an appropriate
routeable map on it it can also give you directions to a destination (it
doesn't have the annoying voice feature though). What's more, the micro-SD card
can be used as a general data store (it connects via USB as a USB mass storage
device), so in my case it has part of my music collection on it. I just swap it
with the micro-SD card in my phone (which has a different OSM-derived map on
it) when I want to listen to the music. The Garmin is also relatively
waterproof, so I don't worry if it rains while I'm out mapping (it sits on a
handlebar mount on my bike, available
 separately). The only downside is that it doesn't support settings profiles -
so after a session out at sea (for which it's also an excellent device) I was
cycling along measuring my speed in knots with it showing my course in degrees
until I reconfigured it! It runs for a couple of days of mapping on a pair of
NiMH AA rechargeables. It cost about £170. Its receiver seems to be a lot more
sensitive than the N95 which I used previously.

Having said that, you can get a bluetooth GPS device for about £25, so if you
already have an EeePC or similar with bluetooth, this would probably be the
cheapest option.

Donald

--
Andrew Williams / Nik_Doof