On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Gerald A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Renderers should be following the project. If the community decides one tag
> over the other, or both, or even neither, the renders will catch up
> eventually. Or we should allow tagging for renderers, which I would be
> against. The discussions about tags should focus on the merits of the data,
> not outside factors.

Two problems with your argument:

1. "The community" as no coherent opinion. On any issue you're going
to get significant chunks of the "community" taking opposite sides.

2. The renderers are part of the community too.

Also, we are beginning to reach the point where renderers are not the
only output. There are people out there tagging because they want
routing program to produce better output. There tags rarely appear on
renderers but are equally important.

"Merits of data" discussions tend to get bogged down by the fact that
every gate in the world is unique and no amount of tagging will change
that. So we focus on practical issues of getting maximum information
for minimum tagging which is a much easier goal.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://svana.org/kleptog/