On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Keith Ng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am currently uploading fixed coastline from JOSM and I notice that the
> upload is excruciatingly slow. The maximum speech achievable is around
> 1.5KB/s and the average speed is around 800 byles/s.
>
> I am uploading data from Melbourne, Australia. There's nothing wrong with my
> Internet. My maximum upload bandwidth is 256KB/s. Yet, JOSM notifies me that
> my current upload will take around 95 minutes.

The problem is not speed, it's latency. I'm not sure what your ping
time is to the server (I'm guessing near 350ms), but remember that any
single update done by JOSM will take at least a whole HTTP request to
do which is at least 4*RTT so maybe 1.5 seconds. Multiply by number of
objects...

The 0.6 API wil have a bulk upload stream which can significantly
reduce the overhead. Another possibility is do a Save in JOSM and you
bulk_upload from a machine closer to the server.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://svana.org/kleptog/