I know there has been a lot of talk recently about layers and what should be
displayed on the maps. I think the public buildings such as libraries, town
halls are good to have on the main map.

Here is an idea I wanted to throw out to the OSM community. I am not a
developer, so I'm not sure what is being done or has been done along these
lines or even if it is feasible.

Is it possible to somehow turn off and on certain features on the map? I'm
imaging something that works similar to mapstudio or another map making
program. If someone wanted to see just the buildings, just the roads etc, it
would be great if they could check a box and those features would show up or
not show up. This would eliminate the worry of the main map becoming too
cluttered and it would also help if people wanted to export the map to
highlight particular features. Once the feature is approved, it could then be
immediately rendered on the map rather than whenever someone decides to render
it.

Here are a couple of ways this could be accomplished. The first is by having
the different data on different layers then turning those layers off and on.
The second is by being able to select which tag categories can be viewed.

Just food for thought. Thanks.