Hi!

Steffen Vogel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:

> As a user and mapper of OpenStreetMap, I often use OpenStreetBugs.
> Unfortunatly this project is quity poor in features like:
> - email notification
> - duplicate handling
> - user handling
> - attachements (pictures, links, etc...)
> - search
> - filters
> - reports, charts & statistics
> etc.

I never thought about most of these features but they would be very
handy, indeed. I am hoping to have things like a basic classification
(POI bug, street-bug, power-line bug, etc) and the ability to close a
bug without removing it.

> Bug trackers like Bugzilla can cope with these requirements a lot
> better.
>
> What do you think about a migration of OpenStreetBugs to Bugzilla?

My experiences as a bug reporter with Bugzilla were not very positive
so far. In my view the user interface is very confusing and does not
seem to be well thought-out from a user's perspective. Based on these
experiences I personally would not use Bugzilla as a bugtracker for any
project.

However, I like your idea of reusing some existing software but we
also should make sure that we are reusing some software that is actually
suited for what we want to do. What I mean is: The main user interface
for map bugtracker is probably very different from a software
bugtracker. Also, while having much in common, I think, a map bug is
usually much simpler than a software bug and might also require a
slightly different way of handling it. At the moment I am not sure if
this can be represented naturally with a software bugtracker without
ending up with a software that is neither fish nor fowl and difficult
to maintain.

> A migration of the other bug trackers (http://trac.openstreetmap.org)
> to Bugzilla would ensure that we have projectwide unique Bug IDs.

Having unique bug ids would be nice to have but I do not think it is
very important. I am not even sure if it would be possible with
Bugzilla at all because a map bug description will probably contain a
different set of fields than a software bug (e.g. a map bug would not
contain operating system fields).
And I also have to admit that I prefer the trac bug tracker over
bugzilla (again from a bug reporter perspective).

Cheers,
Christoph