On 28/11/2008 11:48, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
> There aren't that many cities with duplicate/multiple names. So I'd guess a
> wiki page where they are listed and the community decides a stacking order
> would be straightforward enough. Obviously doing it at lower levels this
> approach wouldn't work. Info can then be tagged and used by namefinder?

I take your point, but the general case is not just the namefinder -
it's also about how large the captions are on renderings and whether
place A or B gets the caption when the two would overlap.

So we need to know relative importance in general, not just between
far-apart places with the same names.

Some kind of "importance" tag could do the job, but how we define it in
a reasonably objective way that could be applied to more than just a few
special cases is hard, unless we use things like population, local role
and area, in which case why not tag these things directly.

David