On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Inge Wallin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Monday 01 December 2008 13:59:32 Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
>> The latest charts are now online [1] and they show that the number of
>> contributors has dropped in the last couple of months. The number of new
>> users signing up each day hasn't changed much.
>>
>> Is it the northern hemisphere winter kicking in?
>> Has the credit crunch or fuel prices made a difference?
>> Students returning to studies?
>
> I'd say winter.  It's definitely the case for me (Sweden) and if you look at
> the statistics you will find exactly the same dip during the same period last
> year.

i've just had a look at the statistics for POIs mapped and road length
mapped over the past 12 months in the UK and Germany. i can't see any
dip last year. but then our winters don't compare to sweden's :-)

however, the recent drop-off in mappers correlates very nicely with
the fall in non-business sunshine hours. and is slightly correlated
with mean daytime temperature (at least in the UK).

>> If anyone out there who was contributing in the summer and has now stopped
>> could share the reasons I might help shed some light.
>
> I haven't actually stopped, it's just slowed down.  But I imagine others that
> could stop temporarily.

i've pretty much stopped - the flash on my camera drains the battery
too quickly for night-time mapping...

cheers,

matt