>> A good point, so I rechecked the photograph. It isn't clear, but
>> cars may be able to drive as far as the barrier on the far side (and
>> if so I'd probably tag it as highway=service), but in the foreground
>> there is only paving slabs which suggests it is for pedestrians and
>> cyclists only (so I'd probably tag it as something like
>> highway=cycleway/foot=yes, or whatever the actual case is) - in
>> which case the chicane would be to slow down the cyclists which
>> would be the only through traffic. A bollard doesn't slow down
>> cyclists in the same way (at least if they aim correctly <g>).
>
>I'm not sure about the size on Miriams image, but the barrier on
>my image is just passable by pedestrians and bicycles.
>The picture was taken here:
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.85424&lon=8.56903&zoom=17&layers=0B00FTF
>
>and all barriers of that kind i've seen look like they are placed there
>to stop pedestrians (and especially kids) to run from a living area
>to the next high traffic street

The
one on the photo lays in the middle of a footway just before steps
leading down. Another one is at the lower end just before a residential
street. So I don't think it's to prevent cars from entrance.

Another
one I know is in the middle of a slight bend in a footway. So I guess
it's to slow down skaters, roller-bladers, bicyclists (though no
bicycles allowed there) a.s.o.

Miriam