On Dec 12, 2008, at 16:43, Andy Allan wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Robert Vollmert <rvollmert-li...@gmx.net
> > wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> there seem to be a few Garmin users around here. If you'd like to
>> give
>> routable OSM-derived maps a try, there's some instructions on the
>> wiki
>> at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/routing . The support is
>> still quite incomplete both because the Garmin format isn't
>> completely
>> understood and because of bugs. More the latter, probably. Help on
>> either topic would be appreciated.
>
> Awesome. Are there any docs anywhere being made for the routing format
> similar to the venerable
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/garmin-img ?

There's some documentation on the NOD file in
http://svn.parabola.me.uk/display/trunk/doc/nod.txt
  . That covers the routing graph. I don't think the NET file is
currently documented, though i may be missing something. Apart from
that, it's in the code for the moment. There's also
libgarmin.sourceforge.net  (IMG reader for navit) and its wiki.

> Also, when I was putting it together yesterday I saw osm2mp.pl
> suggesting it was dealing with turn restrictions (although on reading
> the code, it's not exactly sophisticated logic!). But when I was
> playing with it last night my eTrex it was ignoring them. Am I
> expecting too much, or would you expect turn restrictions to work?

mkgmap doesn't write restrictions for the moment. For simple from-via-
to restrictions, this is a matter of writing the code, since that part
is understood.

Cheers
Robert