On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Karl Newman <siliconfi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I looked a bit at the osm.xml file for Mapnik. It currently orders them by
> the place tag hierarchy (city, town, suburb, village, hamlet/locality), but
> there doesn't seem to be any sorting within equal hierarchies (which is
> probably why you see Daly City instead of San Francisco at certain zooms).
> Ideally it could do this by population, with a bonus for capitals. The
> documentation for Mapnik indicates that it supports value comparisons, but
> it looks like the population would have to be stored in a column. Anyway,
> that seems like it would be the way to go.

I don't think simple population ranking is necessarily the best option.
 There are other, more subjective factors that are important as well.  For
instance, San Francisco is smaller in terms of both population and land area
than San Jose, and both are the county seat of their respective counties,
yet due its economic, cultural, and historical importance, San Francisco
should trump San Jose in case of a rendering collision.
-Scott

--
Scott Atwood

Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia.  ~H.G. Wells