2008/12/21 Stephen Hope <slh...@gmail.com>

> 2008/12/21 D Tucny <d...@tucny.com>:
> >
> > What makes an optician's a shop whereas a dentist is an amenity? NHS?
> > Opticians selling sunglasses?
> >

> Because an opticians tend's to look a shop, and I can go in, buy
> something (new frame, glasses case, cleaning materials) without an
> appointment or seeing an optician at all?  I've never seen a dentists
> place that looked like a shop.

It all depends on where you live I guess... Round here, dentists mostly have
shop fronts and are walk in... You can buy dental care products, get some
quick repair work done, order some tooth jewelery etc... But UK dentists at
least are a very different beast I know, as with most GPs surgeries, it's
best to book well in advance if you suspect a problem may occur...

> 2008/12/21 Dermot McNally <derm...@gmail.com>:
> >
> > It's "doctors" that puzzles me. Why not "doctor"? I know that you are
> > reporting reality here, but maybe we have a chance now to document a
> > more consistent set of tags and perhaps the (possibly few) mappers
> > already using "doctors" would be prepared to retag.
>
> It's a shortened form of "doctor's (surgery/office)".  It's common
> English usage, so I can see why people would start using it. Whether
> or not it should be encouraged, however is another question.
>
> I think if we are going to get serious about POI's we need to come up
> with a tagging scheme for things that are businesses but are not
> shops.  Just thinking about things in the immediate vicinity of where
> I work, there is a business park (named, and known by the name), a
> state tax office, several office buildings, various other government
> departments. I'm not sure amenity or shop really works for any of
> them.

There has been general POI discussion in the past, iirc, with some feeling
that POIs belong outside of the database in some form of OpenYellowPages
that could be integrated with OSM, but, needed a non-map based way of
managing the data, and on the flip side, there were those that thought it
should all be in the database and let people tag what they see fit and
whatever works will succeed... In the middle somewhere was the come up with
a proper POI tagging plan but keep it in OSM...

I agree, amenity and shop are perhaps, I feel, being overloaded a bit at
times currently... To me it would make more sense to expand the number of
keys that can be used for POIs to give a more accurate representation of
what is there... When amenity=publisher was proposed, I suggested a new
company or business key instead... but... perhaps taking some structure from
the icon sets that certain people have worked on and documenting some keys
around that structure would be useful... If I recall correctly, there was
lots of thought put into the structure of categories etc for those icons...