On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 1:37 AM, Rory McCann <r...@technomancy.org> wrote:

> Some land borders, e.g. between Ireland and the UK are like that. No
> border control.

It is not exactly the same. Anyone (say a person from Morocco or Colombia)
is not allowed to walk across Ireland on his way to the UK without going
through imigration, but he is allowed to sail through the Irish territorial
waters on his way to the UK. The UK miltary is free to use the Irish
economic zone (200 mile boundary) for military exercise and can sail through
Irish territorial waters in their way there, but they are not free to march
through Dublin on their way to a war game in Cork.

I think maritime borders should be in OSM. I can't really think why they
> should be tagged differently. They are a boundary=adminitrative, and
> they do have an admin_level of 2 ....

What border would you tag? The end of internal waters, the end of
territorial waters or the end of the economic zone?

I agree that they belong in OSM. But admin_level 2? To me, that implies that
this is a boundary between two entities of level 2 (countries). The maritime
borders, however, mark decreasing level of control with the same entity
(country) on both sides of the border.

The places where the territorial waters of two countries meet (that is,
where there is less than 24 miles from shore to shore) tagging the same way
as a land border makes more sense, in my opinion.

 - Gustav