From: Tom Hughes [mailto:t...@compton.nu]
Sent: 01 January 2009 16:03
To: Mike Harris
Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Trunk and primary routes in the UK

Mike Harris wrote:

> I thought that I had backed off and cleared things up - sorry! Unfortunately
> your message - for me at least - adds further to the confusion. Surely in the
> UK "primary" roads (and trunk roads of course) are A roads and A roads are
> primary roads - whether or not they are part of the "primary route network"
> (as indicated by street sign colour). OSM has chosen to define its tagging
> and rendering according to the "primary route network" (and street sign
> colour) and I am no longer questioning this and have already apologised and
> corrected back the few changes I had made. BUT ... A roads with white signs
> are surely still primary roads (and should be tagged as such)? To call an A
> road a "secondary" road adds enormously to the potential confusion as the
> term "secondary" is surely reserved in legal, common and OSM parlance for B
> roads?

I don't know whether "secondary A road" is an official term or not, so don't
treat that as having any significance.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I read your message as saying that some roads which
were not part of the primary route network have green signs, and as far as I
know that is not true. That is basically what I was trying to say was wrong.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/